25 May 2010

Come Again?

One of the things I will miss about my classes this summer are the crazy misunderstandings that come from our attempts at conversation (they always seem amplified when the conversation involves a child's perspective).

Example #1 comes from a homework question answered by a student who, although paying some attention in class, had obviously not read the assignment.

Homework Question: What was one practice of the Catholic Church that the Reformers objected to in the 15th and 16th Centuries?

Real Answer: "The selling of indulgences as a means of salvation."

Student's Answer: "The selling of old Jesuses to get to heaven."

I had to think of that one for a few minutes and read it out loud before I figured out that indulgence and old-Jesus really do kind of sound the same.

Example #2 is even better. It comes from a conversation I had with a student in class. I'll call her Alex.

Alex: "Ms Trim, do you like chocolate?"

Me:
"Yes I do . . . but then, when you think about it, do you know very many women who don't like chocolate?!"

Alex:
Ms Hill doesn't like chocolate.

Me:
That's true. But Ms Hill only eats healthy things.

Alex:
Some of the stuff she eats is DISGUSTING!!! Did you know she eats toads?!?!
Me:
(thinking - she's a vegetarian) Toads? I don't think so. What do you mean?

Alex: Yeah she does! It's called toad . . . toad . . . toad-foo, I think.

Me: Not toad-foo, Alex. Tofu.

No comments: