16 October 2008

The Good and the Bad of Living with Grandparents:

The Good: Freshly brewed coffee every morning whenever I wake up, and in the winter the sweetest icy-cold grapefruit from the back-yard tree and in the summer a bowl of fresh strawberries

The Good: Sitting in the garden under a bougainvillea and next to a rose bush (both in full bloom) to do morning devotions in the California sunshine.
The Bad: Little twinges of guilt for not spending enough family time during weeks with crazy loads of school work.
The Good: Waking up with “Tennessee Waltz” stuck in my head and attempting to play it on the upright grand in the front room. Apparently my fumbling notes are at least recognizable because Grandpa is soon standing over my shoulder singing along in his rich tenor.
The Good: Perennial grandmotherly fear that I’m wasting away to nothing resulting in plenty of home-cooked meals and not a few warm-from-the-oven batches of cookies as I study. 
The Good: Sitting up late with Grandma as she tells stories of her experiences in the Los Angeles public school system in the 30s and 40s (graduated, Los Angeles Polytechnic High School class of 1947 – “and then I went to work for the phone company, but not until after we got back from the East Coast, because Dad didn’t have any vacation through the war, so now he had seven weeks off, and he wanted to introduce his three daughters to his family in the East, but Doris got married first. He thought she should wait, but she didn’t want to”)
The Bad: Seeing a 55-year marriage up real close and realizing that even after that amount of time, the marriage still has problems. . . but then maybe that should actually be the Good since God’s grace is big enough to make two people love one another despite their own selfishnesses. And realizing that imperfect doesn't mean "not good". . .
The Good: Saying “I love you to grandpa” and seeing his flustered smile and hearing him awkwardly answering, getting used to words he isn't used to saying.
The Bad: Worrying that if I get home late I will have caused someone else to worry.
The Good: Settling in to research and hearing the sound of my grandparents’ voices reading the Bible together out loud and praying for each member of the family. Discovering that I have a tremendous heritage of family and faith.

Hmm . . . looking at it this way, the bad sure isn’t all that bad, is it? I am tremendously blessed.

1 comment:

Kelly Sauer said...

Yay, a post! You, Leeann - now can we talk Tee into it?